The 9 Most Forgotten Items in a Move
By Cecile Ruffino on 12:34 pm
Are you moving to the Lake Travis area soon? Selling your home and moving across the country can be stressful. If you’re moving for a new job, you might have limited time to prepare for and complete your move. Afterall, you’ve got to be here quick to start that job! It is easy to forget things when your rushing, but have no fear – we’ve got you covered! Below is a list of important, but commonly fogotten items during a move. Check each of these off your list before hopping in that moving truck, and you’ll be well prepared for your new life that awaits here in Lake Travis!
- Medical Records: Obtaining copies of your medical records including your dentist, veterinarian and vaccine-immunization information can often be overlooked. In some cases, a notarized letter is required to receive the official documentation.
- School Records: Your child’s permanent school records are usually required when registering your child at a new school. Often, copies will not be sufficient, and records with a raised seal will be necessary.
- Garage Door Opener: Many people often forget to take the electric garage door opener out of their car before leaving. Remember to leave the opener for the new tenants or owners.
- Safe Deposit Box Items: Many people forget to retrieve important documents from their safe deposit box.
- Local Business Errands: Remember to complete transactions with local businesses (for example, picking up your dry cleaning).
- Your New Address: In the flurry of preparing for the move, you may often forget your forwarding address – important information when forwarding periodicals and credit card bills, as well as keeping in touch with old friends.
- Spare House Keys: The collection of spare house keys can often be forgotten. Whether it means getting them from neighbors who kept them, or retrieving them from under the rock next to the front door, don’t forget to gather all sets before you depart.
- Don’t Forget the Pets! In most cases, moving companies cannot transport animals or plants. Remember to make arrangements for their transfer.
- Cleaning: Although your focus will be on your new home or apartment, you can’t forget about preparing the old residence for your exit. Remember to leave out cleaning supplies for the final “once over” before closing the door for good, or make arrangements in advance for a service to clean it for you.